About Me

My photo
I live in beautiful San Diego with my husband of 20 years and our two gorgeous, young daughters. I'm a pharmacist by profession but a writer by hobby. Honestly, I think I spend more time writing than dealing drugs (I mean dispensing medication).

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Are Aliens the New Vampires?

I was just reading an online article that proposed that aliens might be the new vampire, the new "it" in movies.  Of course since writing is my passion, I ask what you all think is the new "it" in young adult / adult books?  What do you think will be the next hot topic?

By the time we see a book hit the shelves, around two years have went by since the author finished penning it.  Writers can't predict which way the publishing houses are going when they write their novels so even if they have an unpublished book, they probably should move on to their next project while still sending out query letters for the finished book.  (sounds like I'm giving myself advice.)

We all know vampires are hot and have been the the hot topic for at least 5 years now with the release of all the Twilight books and The Sookie Stackhouse novels and then the Twilight movies and True Blood TV series (I'm sure there are lots more if I think about it), but it would seem that the publishing of vampire books has slowed down.  I wonder if that is because publishing companies are ready for something new or that audiences are?

So what would I love to see more of in the YA section?  Well I'm probably biased but I do love the paranormal romance but I think I would really like to read another dystopian novel/series.  How about a hybrid - dystopian paranormal romance?  LOL!  That would be the icing on the cake for me!  Yum.
But honestly, I think I could see alien and fairy books on the rise over the next few years.  Well at least I would like to read them.

What would you like to read more of?  What do you think will be the new "it" in fiction books?

4 comments:

  1. Definitely fairy books. But somewhere between Tinkerbell and Meredith Gentry. Am I making any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think I know what you're talking about. Meredith Gentry is hardcore and let's face it, only LKH can be that hardcore and still be talking about fairies. heehee.
    I wonder if the guys are interested in fairies like us women. We seem to be fascinated with them from childhood. Maybe it's just a Tinkerbell thing thing. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you forgot to mention Vampire Diaries on TV right now!

    If you read the less gentle fairy mythology fairies are all pretty . . . hmmmmm . . . active shall we say LOL! Holly Black has a YA series out about Fairies right now and I've read the first three of her books I think. It's worth checking out.

    Right now I think though we're seeing a lot of supernatural type of things out. Supernatural, Fringe etc - good old X-Files style of entertainment. I like it all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. me too! I prefer to read the supernatural type books. They seem to bring me more of an escape from my own reality. I've been reading so obsessively lately that the only two TV shows that I'm currently watching are Smallville and The Vampire Diaries.
    I think vampires will always be one of the main "its" in the books I read but I'm trying to widen my scope some. I'll have to check out Holly Black's books right after I finish Cassandra Clare's.

    ReplyDelete