About Me

My photo
I live in beautiful San Diego with my husband of 20 years and our two gorgeous, young daughters. I'm a pharmacist by profession but a writer by hobby. Honestly, I think I spend more time writing than dealing drugs (I mean dispensing medication).

Monday, October 18, 2010

Year One - A Glimpse

I had a dream that started last night early on and I remember telling myself "remember that".  Some time this morning, I saw the same bit of the dream.  When I woke I didn't remember it right away but when I was driving to work I sat there thinking "there's something I'm supposed to remember" and then I did.
This is a rough version of what I saw in my dream (names inserted as I wrote it out).


Year One

Prologue

            The year is 2082 and the world is reeling from 30 years of World War III.  Death, poverty, and terrorism are a way of everyday life.  Liberty and the American way don’t exist.  The world population is half of what it once was.  Despondency is the human condition.
In what is known as Year One, the visitors known as the Liberators come to save us from poverty, from despair, from ourselves.

Chapter 1

            “No, let him go!” I scream at the Liberators that clutch at my friend.  “Mack, fight!” I encourage as I continue to thrash and claw my way through the crowd at Liberty station.  I see Mack Steelsworth being pulled through the crowd backwards.  His heels are dug in as he flails and swings his arms reaching for me.  I reach out to him but can’t get to him despite my efforts.  My legs won’t move faster.  I suck the air in through my parted cracked lips but to no relief for my lungs.  I feel the world spin as the fire sets in my lungs from desaturation.  The oxygen hunger spreads through my limbs and finally to my brain.  As I suffocate, the world goes soft and then black.

1 comment:

  1. So I had to explain to my husband that these are just notes, not even close to something that would be called a first draft. Books are not written, they are rewritten - over and over.
    I hope to find time on Thursday to think some more about Year One. It'll be fun to do an alien invasion story!

    ReplyDelete