About Me

My photo
I live in beautiful San Diego with my husband of 20 years and our two gorgeous, young daughters. I'm a pharmacist by profession but a writer by hobby. Honestly, I think I spend more time writing than dealing drugs (I mean dispensing medication).

Friday, October 22, 2010

Year One -- The Evolution of a Thought

I love how a dream can linger and that small kernel of a thought can fester and grow into a story.  Just for the fact that this is the second time I've come back to this story and began to organize my thoughts, I'm hopeful that this is the new story I'm going to get super obsessive over.
Here's a newer version of the prologue of my little alien invasion story.

Year One
Prologue
            The year is 2082 and the world is reeling from 30 years of World War III.  Death, poverty, and terrorism are a way of everyday life.  Liberty and the American way do not exist.  The world population is half of what it once was.  Despondency is the human condition and starvation reigns throughout the land.  Human trafficking poorly disguised as indentured servitude is commonplace amongst the rich and well-placed citizens of the newfound World Union.
In what is known as Year One, the visitors identified as the Liberators come to save us from poverty, from despair, from war, from ourselves. 
They claim they had been watching us from afar, monitoring our condition.  They had been weighing their options, debating how to help us and when Earth’s most intelligent inhabitants, humans, were finally at the brink of destroying their world, they could not just watch anymore.  So they claim.
Some feel the visitors have been here all along.  Some feel that our perfectly timed saviors are the cause of our current state.  

No comments:

Post a Comment