About Me

My photo
I live in beautiful San Diego with my husband of 20 years and our two gorgeous, young daughters. I'm a pharmacist by profession but a writer by hobby. Honestly, I think I spend more time writing than dealing drugs (I mean dispensing medication).

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Excerpt from Chapter 11

This is just a small excerpt from perhaps one of my favorite chapters in the book.  I wanted to turn the entire chapter over as part of my sample of writing to the literary agent but it doesn't fall in the first 50 pages.


Chapter Eleven
The World
The sky had a whitish blue hue to it as if the world’s image was being reflected in a looking glass.  Peace filled me as I looked away from the Earth up into the heavens.  My thoughts drifted far from here, but heaven couldn’t hold me. This world, my world, felt chaotic and confusing as it pulled me back down.  I was bound to this place in time and so my thoughts returned to it.
I decided to revisit the scene of the crime – the location of last night’s council meeting.  From atop of the 30 foot boulder that formed the backdrop to the stage, I could see the clearing where my people gathered to watch me make a fool of myself last night and alienate some potential friends, friends of my family, friends of Brian’s.
The day, though beautiful and sunny, had been greatly overshadowed by my angst about my inhuman behavior last night.   I was supposed to demonstrate my abilities, that was all, nothing more, but somehow I got carried away.  My instincts took control of me and I tried to hurt people, good people.  A fleeting smile crept over my face.  Well actually they were wolves – but still my people.
From on top of my perch, I could still hear the soft crunching noises of an animal below.  “Shoo, go away,” I said as I looked over the edge of the massive boulder.  My eagle eye platform was about 30 feet up and 20 feet in diameter.  My day had been getting weirder and weirder.
Still hanging my head over the edge I said out loud, “Don’t you have a rabbit to go catch or something?  Perhaps you can make someone else’s girlfriend feel bad, because you know that I feel horrible about last night.  I don’t need you circling my rock every five minutes to see if I’m still up here.  I’m not part eagle, I can’t fly away you know.  Besides, I’m not coming down until you leave.  Shoo!”
I sat there running my tongue over my newly sharpened teeth, trying to ignore the wolf that had been trailing me part of the morning.  My wolf was at work, this one, Jason, was assigned to keep me out of trouble – so Brian told me earlier going against all my protests.  He said if I wasn’t willing to go home until I felt better, than I was going to be assigned a chaperone.  I tried, but there was no arguing with the alpha male in him.
A golden tail hawk floated by overhead, I’m sure it was wondering what I was doing laying on a rock.  Probably looking to see if I were dead, thinking perhaps the wolf below fatally injured me.  I pondered if the hawk knew there weren’t supposed to be wolves in this part of the country anymore, or perhaps the hawk knew the truth that that wasn’t a real wolf, but a different species all together.  Maybe the hawk accepted the fact that there were werewolves just as there are gophers or field mice.  If so, then I too would have to come to terms with my new reality of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment