About Me

My photo
I live in beautiful San Diego with my husband of 20 years and our two gorgeous, young daughters. I'm a pharmacist by profession but a writer by hobby. Honestly, I think I spend more time writing than dealing drugs (I mean dispensing medication).

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Excerpt from Chapter 30

Another small excerpt.  Just a reminder for those that don't know the story, Brian's pack can hear Sage's thoughts.


Chapter Thirty
Finally, Finally
            Ramona was only about a half hour from Julian, straight down through the mountains, but still higher elevation than the rest of San Diego County.  The town had grown since I was a little girl.  The days of one traffic light were in the distant past as the town pushed outward along its borders.  Many of our nonmarked clan members had moved away from Julian over the last two hundred years, but many didn’t go far.  Ramona was full of individuals that descended from shapeshifters.  The funny thing was that most of the citizens there didn’t know that, but occasionally a teenager would pop up on the radar who had enough genetic material to develop the mark, not often, but occasionally, and then the elders would have to step in and inform the parents that their child can run a little faster, bench press a little more, and overall is different because they themselves must have some genetic material of a werewolf. 
These rare finds of individuals that develop the mark, yet their parents are markless, are few and far in between.  The last time I heard of this happening was Keith’s father, Richard Stubbe.  But come on; with the last name Stubbe, that doesn’t surprise me.  After all, Peter Stubbe was a crazy German werewolf that went around killing villagers hundreds of years ago.  All well documented.  So of course there’s lycanthrope genes in that bloodline.  Funny how people don’t know their own history.  Keith’s father moved to Julian when he was 18 years old so he could reintegrate back into the clan.  And that he did.  He found himself a nice marked female and had himself a werewolf for a son.
Brian cleared his throat but it was Jason who spoke, “No don’t interrupt her; her mind ramblings can be very interesting.  I almost felt like Trish’s grandpa was giving me another history lesson.  It’s like turning to the History Channel and finding a soap opera on instead.”  I looked back to see the biggest smile on Jason’s face.
“Shut up, Jason.”  I blushed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment